Monday, October 19, 2015

Gratitude

Because of the way that I've been feeling lately, I thought it would good for me try to change my focus and mindset. I know a lot of my outlook depends my attitude, so I'm trying to shift that. 

I got together with a few of my fertility buddies this past weekend. One of them had the same dr for her son as I did for the delivery of L & C. She said she recently saw this dr for an annual visit and she mentioned something about my friend being one of her favorite patients. My friend then said it was because she wrote her an amazing thank you letter and sent her flowers after the birth of her son. 

This really got me thinking. To be honest, I never really thought about writing a thank you letter to my ob/gyn after either birth. I've thought about it for Dr. Braverman, but haven't ever actually done it. 

I've decided I'm going to write Dr. L a thank you note. I think doing this will be a good exercise for me in gratitude and gratefulness. It will help shift my focus to the positive surrounding Stella's birth. 

Definition of gratitude: the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

I've also started to try to focus on the things I can be grateful for every day. Yesterday as I sat inside and watched W playing outside with the girls in the snow (!!), I thought about how grateful I was for our warm home and a wonderful husband who is such an involved and amazing father. I appreciated that he gets three weeks off from work to help our family acclimate and assemble as a new unit of five. When one looks around and focuses on life in a positive way, they find there's so much to be grateful for. 



5 comments:

  1. Adorable photos!

    You are right about gratitude: we are all more prone, I think, to focus on what's wrong than what's right, and we too often miss an opportunity to thank those who have had a positive influence on us. Good for you for deciding to change your focus.

    Years ago, pre-kids and pre-marriage, I used to keep a daily gratitude journal. Some days it would be hard to think of three things that day for which I was grateful; other days it was really easy. But it definitely helped me to focus on noticing the good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Do you already have snow there?! It's still in the 90s here! (Phoenix)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about gratitude. Seeing what's going on around the world, we are more than lucky to have a warm and safe home, families and health. Sometimes things are taken for granted. Therefore, I greet the idea of daily gratitude. I also believe that when a person is grateful, life will give you more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always believed that our attitude is a choice. Lately, I've been struggling with finding my happiness. I love this post so much! Thank you for sharing. Also, I can't believe you have snow already!

    ReplyDelete